When Ray Price founded Price Nurseries in 1927, he always believed his dreams of entrepreneurship would blossom into one of Indiana's largest wholesale nursery and landscaping businesses. Ray and his wife, Clara, lived in Plymouth, but Ray worked at the Studebaker automobile plant in South Bend. After a long day's work at the factory, Ray would sell plants on a city street corner close to the Studebaker facilities. He also started a small nursery on Harrison Street in Plymouth.

By the 1940’s, Ray had saved enough money to purchase property on Michigan Street just north of Plymouth's downtown. By the end of World War II, he started to develop the land and business that was known as Northern Indiana's largest plant nursery. A modern retail garden center was constructed at the North Michigan Street location in the 1950s. The "post-war boom" and Ray's budding reputation as a world-class nurseryman helped enhance Price Nurseries' success.

By the 1960s and 70s the Nursery had grown in real estate and services. A landscape design and build division was started and the garden center expanded to include power equipment. In the early 1970s, Robert Price became President and continued the Price tradition of quality, growth and first-rate customer service.

In 1985, Bob, along with his three managers, purchased 120 acres on King Road (Price Nurseries' current location). The land allowed for a much needed expansion of nursery stock and additional buildings for the growing landscaping business. Bob retired in 1990 and his executive team purchased the business:  Jim Kenny, who managed the garden center and power equipment department for Bob; Tom McGee, who had been the landscape designer and manager since the late 1970s; and Mark Goss, the Nursery Field Manager.  Today the three partners own and operate Price Nurseries. They kept the good name, and keep Ray's vision moving forward.

Now those are some deep roots you should consider.

Check out a gallery of some of our historical photos.

Contact Price Nurseries